Ripples is the Liquid Filter and delivers a classic, big-sounding four-pole filter in a small 8-HP package, continuing Mutable Instruments’ lineage of warm and tasty filters started by the Shruthi SMR4 mkII and 4-Pole Mission. 3 filter modes are available: 2-pole band-pass, 2-pole low-pass, and 4-pole low-pass. Self-oscillation is available for all modes and produces a clean sine-wave on the LP4 output. Unlike many classic 4-pole designs, this filter does not suffer from “loudness drop” when resonance is increased. The resonance loudness compensation circuit brings a slight tone coloration reminiscent of the Roland SH/Jupiter filters, with a very round and “liquid” resonance. The 4-pole low-pass output is additionally sent to a VCA. This makes Ripples a good “final stage” module for an inexpensive/space-constrained subtractive synthesis synth voice. Ins & Outs
- Frequency CV 1 (1V/Oct) Input
- Resonance CV. Self oscillation starts at 4V. Control voltages above 5V are non-linearly compressed, for fine control of resonance overdrive Frequency CV 2 (with bipolar attenuator, from -1V/Oct to 1V/Oct)
- VCA level Input. Control voltages above 5V are non-linearly compressed.
- 2-pole BP Out
- 2-pole LP Out
- 4-pole LP Out
- 4-pole LP Out attenuated by VCA
- Cutoff frequency, 18Hz to 18kHz
- Resonance (self oscillation at 80%)
- Attenuverter on Frequency CV
- Format: Eurorack
- Frequency CV inputs impedance: 100k.
- Audio input impedance: 75k.
- Width: 8-HP.
- Current consumption: +12V: 35mA ; -12V: 35mA.