The ES-4 Gate Expander is a Eurorack module which works in tandem with the ES-4 to offer 8 on/off outputs for use as gates, triggers, clocks etc. Up to five ES-4 Gate Expanders can be attached to one ES-4 - one per ES-4 channel. (The 8 outputs of the Gate Expander reflect the 8 bits of CV information passed to the ES-4's DACs.) Therefore you can combine the modules to create a system with up to 40 independent gate outputs - all driven from a single S/PDIF connection. The ES-4 Controller software (part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way) also allows the Gate Expander outputs to be used for DIN sync or MIDI output* (note - not just MIDI clock output, but as an actual MIDI port, capable of sending any MIDI messages). Since these outputs are driven from an audio connection (the S/PDIF port), they have sample-accurate timing, which no USB MIDI interface can claim.
* Note - the MIDI out feature is only officially supported at sample rates of 48kHz and above, though some users report success with specific hardware when running at 44.1kHz.
SpecificationsThe ES-4 Gate Expander's specifications are as follows:
- Panel width: 4HP
- Module depth: 24mm
- Analogue outputs: 8x 3.5mm jacks, DC-coupled
- Output voltages: 0V/5V or 0V/12V, selectable via jumper in groups independently for channels 1-4 and 5-8
- Indicators: LED per channel
- Current draw: 5mA on the +12V rail, 0mA on the -12V rail (5mA total)